Easy and Affordable
To start training, you must first enroll in the course or bundle you wish to take. We recommend that techs of all skill levels start with Core Appliance Repair Training, since the Advanced Courses require that you understand all the concepts from our Core course. We offer two ways to enroll, one for individual technicians and one for employers, see below for details.
Instructions for Individual Technicians
- If you already have an account (from taking a course or course sample), log into that account, then click Enroll in the menu. If you don’t have an account, move onto step 2.
- At the Enroll page choose the course or bundle from the dropdown menu under “Step 1: Select a Course or Bundle.”
- If you have a discount code, enter it and click “Apply.”
- Enter your profile information (click here for more details). If you already have an account and are logged in, these fields will be hidden.
- Enter your credit or debit card information. If you would like to see whether you qualify for financing, click “Or see if you qualify for financing with Affirm” then enter your billing address.
- Read and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Click “Enroll Now.” You’ll have immediate access to your course(s) once the payment is complete. A receipt will be emailed to you.
Instructions for Employers
- Visit our Enrollment page for employers and begin filling out the form to provide us with your company and trainee info.
- If you or your trainees already have accounts with Master Samurai Tech, please use the same email addresses as before so we can link new enrollments to existing accounts.
- If you have two or more technicians enrolled in the Academy, you are eligible for a company discount. If you have a company discount code, please add it in the form, otherwise don’t sweat it! We will apply any discount you are eligible for.
- Once you have added and reviewed the info in the form, click Request Invoice. Within one business day, we’ll email you an invoice with a link to pay online.
- Upon receipt of payment, we will activate your trainees’ accounts and courses and send them a welcome email. If they are new to Master Samurai Tech, their welcome email will contain a link to set up a password.
- We will also email you a receipt and a link to access your Supervisor Dashboard, where you can monitor the training activity, progress, and grades of your trainees.
2. If your email address has already been registered at the site (for example, to take a sample course), you can either enroll with your existing account, or contact us to delete the old account.
2. Access the Course
Self-Paced and On-Demand
To access your course, click “Log In” in the upper right of the website, then enter your username and password. You will automatically be redirected to your course dashboard, where you can see all of the courses available to you and your progress in each. Just click on a course to begin training.
The most important thing to remember is that you are in control of your training. This is a self-paced, on-demand course—all you need is an internet connection and a device to view the course material on. Train at work between hands-on service calls, or train at home, coffee-shops, libraries, etc. Knock out a couple units at a time, or pop in for five minutes to review a concept. You may only need a desktop computer for some of the real-world schematic examples we use, and for the quizzes if you’re worried about clumsy fingers picking the wrong answer accidentally.
(For how long each course typically takes to complete, see the FAQ page – scroll down a few Qs.)
Our goal is to make it as easy as possible to master all aspects of appliance repair, on your own schedule and on a reasonable budget. This training is for your job and livelihood—mastering this material will improve your income, job success and work satisfaction—so nothing should stand between you and mastery.
3. Start Training
Structured to Lead You to Mastery
Each course is divided up into modules and units. Modules cover a broad subject, such as Basic Electricity, and are made up of units, which are like lessons. Each unit has a quiz at the end that you must take before you move on to the next unit. And most modules end with an exam.
The Training Process:
- The modules and units are structured in such a way that each builds off the last, so students are required to take each course in order, one unit at a time. In fact, it’s highly encouraged that you master each unit before moving on (if you need help mastering the material, see step 3 below).
- For each unit, watch any training videos, read the material (including any assignments in the textbook), and listen to any audio. Our courses mix video, text, exercises and humor to cater to all learning styles and help you get the most out of your training.
- If you get stuck or have questions, our appliance repair experts are on standby in the Ask the Teacher Forums to help. It may seem like there’s a lot of distance between us and you, this being an online course, but that doesn’t stop us from doing all we can to make you a better tech. If you need something explained in a different way than how we present it in a lesson, or broken down a bit more, we are more than happy to help.
- Every student also receives a free 6-month membership to Appliantology.org, the biggest and best resource for working techs. Download tech sheets and schematics, swap tips and stories with other technicians, receive access to additional educational resources, and get support from the community when you need it. The sign-up form is in the Appliantology 101 course, which all students can access from their courses page.
- Once you feel you’ve got a handle on the unit material, take the quiz. You will immediately see your quiz results and, if you pass, you can move on to the next unit.
“But What About Hands-on-Training?”
The answer for working techs:
If you’re currently employed as an appliance repair technician, you’ll be working on actual appliances every day on the job, so you don’t need to do anything extra to get hands-on practice. Train online, then apply your new skills and knowledge during your service appointments to finish mastering the material.
The answer for techs not working at the moment:
The reason online training works is that your brain is your most important tool as an appliance repair technician. And it’s your brain, not your hands, that will do most of the work. Our ‘brains-on’ training will teach you troubleshooting skills so that, when you show up at a home to fix a freezer that doesn’t freeze or a dryer that doesn’t dry—no matter the make or model—your brain knows where to look, what to test, and what to do to fix the problem.
You will need a little bit of hands-on practice to try out and finish mastering what you’ve learned, but there are some easy work-arounds for that:
- You can work on your own appliances, or those of your friends and family
- You can get junk/used appliances (from Craigslist for example) to work on at home
- Or you can dive straight into taking repair jobs on the side, starting very slowly
If you need help figuring out a work-around, we’re happy to help. As for the rest of the job, including disassembly and parts-changing, that’s the easy stuff for a handy person like yourself. Plus, there are tons of resources to help, from service manuals (available at Appliantology.org) to online video libraries (like the free ones at RepairClinic and AppliancePartsPros).
To this day, we have only heard praise from our former students, and zero complaints about not including hands-on-practice. Plus, we save our students thousands of dollars because they don’t have to take days off to fly across the country to take in-person training that isn’t necessary.
4. Test Your Knowledge
Evaluate Your Progress as You Train
Every unit in the course has a quiz at the end, and every module has an exam, which consists of quiz questions from the units in that module. These quizzes and exams are automatically graded, though in the Core Appliance Repair Training course, there are two exams (a midterm and final) with “open answer” questions that are graded by Team Samurai.
Quizzes are designed to help you evaluate how well you understood the material, so we allow students to retake them (we’re not hardasses). If you fall short on a quiz or exam, there is no shame in studying up, getting help in the Ask the Teacher Forums, and retaking it to achieve the required score.
But we do limit our students to two attempts per quiz and exam, because there is shame in taking a quiz over and over and using trial and error to get enough correct answers. That’s not learning, and you can’t apply that approach on the job. With the right approach and a little hard work, you can ace your second attempt, as most students who take their training seriously do.
If you still haven’t achieved the required scores after your second attempt, don’t panic! We do offer quiz and exam resets, though they are not automatically given. You must demonstrate that you have adequately prepared to pass the quiz or exam on your third attempt. Once you’ve prepared and feel confident that you can answer the questions you struggled on before, click here to submit a reset request. We’ll contact you by email when everything is ready for you to retake the quiz or exam.
Note: If you are considering a reset on a quiz, don’t move forward with the training just yet or you will lose further progress once we reset your course.
5. Become Certified
Be Confident in Your New Skills
Certification is issued for the Core Appliance Repair, Advanced Refrigerator Repair, Advanced Oven and Range Repair, Advanced Washer and Dryer Repair, and Advanced Troubleshooting courses. If you are aiming to earn your MST Certification, then you must achieve the following marks on quizzes and exams:
- Scored an 80% or better on each unit quiz
- 90% or higher on each module exam (where applicable)
- 90% or higher on both the midterm and final exams (where applicable)
Note that the requirements are for each quiz or exam, not based on an average.
If you want to show off your MST Certification to potential customers and employers to boost your cred and earn more business, we offer certificates, uniform patches and website badges. We encourage everyone to shoot for certification—the better you do in the courses, the better your career will go and the more you’ll earn. Plus, it’s an honor to become a Certified Master Samurai Tech, and all our certified techs feel immense pride in their accomplishment.
6. Get More Support
You’ll Never Be On Your Own Again
We’ve trained more techs than any other appliance repair school, and continue to train multitudes, so we’ve teamed up with the other Master Samurai Techs of the world to support our thousands of alums. All Master Samurai Tech graduates are eligible to receive free or discounted memberships to Appliantology, the original online community of appliance repair experts. As a member of Appliantology, you’ll enjoy access to these amazing benefits:
- Peer-to-peer support from trained appliance repair experts, moderated by the MST team so you always receive the best advice.
- Unlimited downloads of over 7,000 appliance manuals, tech sheets and schematic diagrams—plus more added every day.
- Over 100 hours of new webinar content from the Master Samurai to continue your training and help you stay up-to-date on the latest technology.
- Job boards and networking with other techs and appliance repair company owners to help you find the perfect fit for your career.
All of our members love Appliantology and the friends they make there, so you won’t find a busier, more helpful or more fun place to shoot the s*** and grow as a technician. And if another technician is stuck on a problem and you have the answer, you can swoop in and be their hero.
Grads with a certification in Core Appliance Repair Training will receive a free one-year membership (a $197 value FREE), and that’s just for starters. Even if you don’t get certified, you will receive a lifetime discount on membership (currently $100 off every year).
We continue to work on new resources to offer our graduates, because we understand how important post-grad support can be for new and experienced techs alike. So stay tuned!